Saturday, January 8, 2011

New Year... Same Passion!


You know how we always manage to tell ourselves we'll get to something and we keep putting it off and putting it off, until the very thing that was once of such importance just slips into relative nonexistence; a vague memory, a fleeting thought, a mere impression of where something used to be.

Sigh
!

I have decided to start the new year back on track doing more of the things that make me happy. I have vowed to cook more (for fun--Ill explain ...), write more and thus share more...with all of you. I refuse to call it a New Year's resolution, because lets face it...those rarely stick. Instead I've decided to make certain commitments to myself. Commitments to ensure my happiness, success and general sanity.

So A LOT has changed since the last time I was here, which I dare say, GASP... was almost 2 years ago!!!! Excuse me while I gulp down and refill my glass of wine. Ok, much better. Well where do I begin...

Well for starters I am no longer broadcasting to you from my brick walled Brownstone in Brooklyn, NY, but instead from a quaint airy apartment near Paradise in Nassau, Bahamas. Yes that excited and giddy trip home back in 2009 turned into a rather permanent one. I won't inundate you with all the mundane details about how I was overcome by depression and self-loathing after I was forced to move back to The Bahamas, and lost all passion, drive and will to... cook. I will simply say that in hindsight the move has brought about some amazing revelations both about my food and myself.

Firstly after fighting the great battle against the job market and being terribly, almost mortally wounded, I crawled into my shell and waited to succumb to my injuries. I had given up all hope when I was pried out of my shell, nurtured back to health and coaxed into getting back on my battle horse. I decided that if I couldn't find a job that would let me into their niche in the industry, then I would create my own. And so Social Butterfly Catering Services was born. In a rather ballsy turn of events I decided to enter an annual Christmas cooking competition against a few restaurants, just to get my name out there-- and I won. Who'd a thunk it-- 'lil ole me!

So I was up and running and in the perfect season. I was getting jobs left and right and having great fun doing it, but after about a year it became painfully obvious that my service was a luxury that my home isle did not have the ability to sustain. The economy just could not sustain the flight of my butterfly. I joke, but seriously, the economy was slow and painfully so, I saw my dream dying again, and I refused to fall back into that defeated mode that had plagued me the year before. So I jumped shipped, hit the road, stuck out the thumb, put foot on pavement-- you get the picture, I was outty!! But I didn't venture far, I just island hopped to the more robust and bustling city isle of Nassau. And here I am starting over for the third time in as many years, in a new place, with new players in this crazy game called life.

So it's been a crazy little journey these last few years, but I'm back. I feel more like myself than ever before. I started a business, formed a company, I'm working on a fabulous new venture and all without the formal constraints of having to settle for less than I deserve. Compromise maybe-- but settle NO WAY!

As I mentioned, I've learned some very valuable lessons along the way by the way, like to hear it, here it goes:
1. You never know what you're capable of until you try.
2. Family as it is intended to be is the best life raft-- next to God.
3. Never say never!
4. You can't deny passion, nor should you try. It has a way of rotting, when wasted, that eats you whole.
5.God has an amazing sense of humor! Just when you think you have it all figured out there he is to show you how wrong you are.

So with out anything else to run on about for the mo, I bid you adieu-- for now. But stay tuned for lots of tid-bits from my life, recipes and other exciting snippets. It feels good to be back and for those of you that never left big hugs and kisses you're why I 'm here!

Forks up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment