Monday, January 10, 2011

Are we still doing that ...?

So, I'm checking my Facebook page today when up pops that little chat window that I swear gets more and more annoying sounding with every upgrade. Every time it goes off I find myself wanting to look around half-expecting to see my fairy-godmother with an antique Kitchen-aid stand mixer at the foot of my bed, but alas no. It's usually just a friend with some hot gossip, just saying hi or often lately a request similar to the following.

*Lisa:
Hey girl, I need a favor...

Me:
Ok, shoot!

Lisa:
So I can't boil water without burning it, but I want to lie to this guy and cook a meal that is really easy but seems like it took a really long time for me to make it. What do you have that's like that?

Me: LOL! Wait...

Lisa: Yeah girl, women still doing that in this day and age... go figure!

After a moment of hysteric laughter at the visual of her panicking over burnt water, I proceeded to consider the larger implications of this question. Firstly, after all the years of fighting our way out of the kitchen, why is it that so many of us still feel as though we need to be able to throw down in one to get the guy? Of course maybe that's easy for me to say because I've always cooked and besides it being my profession, I actually enjoy doig it! But last I checked, most men will settle for a ham sandwich if the timing is right...if you get my drift!

Next, what is this notion that seemingly difficult food is better food? I happen to disagree wholeheartedly. I'm more impressed with a well cooked herb roasted chicken with roasted potatoes any day over say Pecan crusted fish with Pineapple salsa on Garlic Couscous with Lavender oil, edible Lilies and a 3-mint Relish en papillote. Sometimes, less really is more! In fact more and more chefs around the globe are returning to their french routes of butter, salt, protein, a lil' wine or brandy and timing...oh, and heavy cream--but still!

And I think herein lies the rub; good food is simply put well cooked food! Plain and simple; anything cooked to the perfect texture, consistency, temperature will do incredible things to your palette compared to how you've probably eaten most things, particularly meats. I don't need a million ingredients on my plate I need two or three really well executed ones. Perfectly cooked pasta with a simple pesto or even garlic olive oil and shaved cheese can do wonders for my comfort level.

My favorite way to eat steak for example is about as simple as it gets. You start with a great cut of steak (one must start with a great cut of steak). Season it liberally with salt and fresh cracked pepper on both sides. Sear it in a med-hi pan on one side for about 3 minutes, turn it over and while it sears on the other side, place it into a 375 degree oven for about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for about 10 minutes covered to let the juices seep back in through the meat, and Voila!-- a perfectly medium rare steak. Serve with a compound butter, sauteed green beans, a nice salad with crumbled blue cheese or a simple baked potato and a nice glass of red wine. It doesn't get easier or better than that. If it does...let me know!

Forks up!



* Name has been changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment