Thursday, April 16, 2009

Well here we go.....

Hey there all! Well, finally after telling myself repeatedly that I would do this here I am!
First a little about me.
I was a boarding school brat since the age of 12, and earned a BA in Psychology and Writing. After college, I was a Guidance Counsellor for The Bahamian Government School System and completely unhappy! So one day I decided to change that. I asked myself what was the one thing that I loved to do, both for myself and to share with others, that I thought I could make a career out of? The answer was simple ....cooking! So I applied to Culinary School in the best place I could think of, a city full of food and culture! A city I always loved and had been dying for an excuse to live and eat in... New York City! And upon my acceptance, I packed up my bags and readied myself to take a bite out of The Big Apple!
I've been living in New York for about 8 months now and recently finished Culinary School with a Diploma in both Culinary Arts and Restaurant Management. It was single-handedly the best experience of my life to date! The people and the chefs were all so passionate and talented it cemented for me that I had made the right choice. How and why did I get to this place after such a traditional (and very expensive) education? ...I LOVE food!! But not just your standard fair, in fact the stranger the better! I look at people like Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern and wish that I could do what they do! They literally have my Dream Job!!! Traveling around the world eating local dishes and submerging themselves into the culinary culture of that location.....I'd die!
Food has a way of bringing people together! We eat in celebration and we eat in mourning. We all have stories about a meal that our mother, grandmother or even great grandmother used to make for us that the entire family loved! Coming home from college to that special meal, or around the Holidays with that traditional spread! Almost every memory that I have in some way revolves around food!
What interests me is how other cultures view food! What they eat, how they prepare it, what it means to them. Food is so personal and yet so social. I love the way people can come together at a table and between food and drink lose themselves in the moment and shake free all of the worries of that day! Oh and did I mention I love to cocktail too! I think that Tony B and I are actually long lost soul mates!
So this blog serves as my outlet to share my love and passion for food with the masses! Dining out in various locations, price brackets, food genres and visiting pubs, bars and local watering holes that titillate my various foodie senses. So journey with me through the ambiance and flavor profiles of some of my favorite places to eat as well as some new places to be discovered! Ready... Set... EAT!

14 comments:

  1. hey what up this navie great idea and you know im a frequenter of the big apple ill be checking you out alot ,lookin forward to your culinary guidance

    ReplyDelete
  2. SWEET!!!! I know you will enjoy all your traveling and tasting and spirits!!! What a wonderful job!!! I think I might know someone who might follow in you foot steps!!!! See you soon honey!! And break a....... spatula???? would that be the correct saying for a chef?? LOL

    Lauren Gibson

    ReplyDelete
  3. "To get ahead in life one must first get started!" Welcome to the beginning lady!!! LOL

    JB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Girl!
    Great idea and really well written! That writing degree paid off :) I loved how you discussed a more intellectual side of food, people really tend to take advantage of the signficance of a good meal! Good luck with it all (and not gonna lie, that main photo you got looks delish!!)xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hungry. I'm coming over in an hour. I won't be denied...

    ReplyDelete
  6. so excited. Yet another way for me to keep up with what ur doing (aka stalk you, lol). My only wish is that I could make this savory journey with you! But congrats on finally getting started on what Im sure will be a deliciously tempting site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hola cuz!!!! How are you??? This is great. Now i'm hoping that I don't have to travel all the way home to get a great meal anymore, I'll just drive down and dine with you :-). Hope to see you soon XOXOXOXOXO

    Kyra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aunt D from the wonderful Bahama IslandsApril 17, 2009 at 10:31 AM

    Congratulations! This is fantastic and I am sure that your extraordinary writing skills and expressions will delight your viewers and keep them coming back. Keep it focused and have a wonderful time doing what you LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Love the blog, wish I was there to experience the different flavors with you, but I almost accomplished it on my side

    Love ya babe

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. yooo if you ever need a food inspecta holla at me!!!!!!!!
    Your food is the bomb I still got vivid memories of Easter '03

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the title Ris!!! Post some delicious recipes too...always looking for something different to try. Cause this peas n' rice is doing something serious to my rear...lol.

    Love ya lots,
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  12. HA! work it out hunni! Thats where i did have to worry about who's cooking my food so much! Im glad you decide to start bloggin again. Lets Go!

    Bro
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey chica... u r so creative and hot!!!! I LOVE this. Considering I DO NOT COOK but love to eat out!!!!
    We have a third thursday dinner group that my sister started here in Orlando. A different person hosts each month and pics a new and hopefully exciting place to eat. Normally we have anywhere from 5-20 people show!!!! It has been fabulous. I hosted this month at a great Spanish Tapas place on Church st. Downtown Orlando - CERVICHE. Best sangria I ever tasted made fresh. Live entertaiment and a nice happy hour. food was out of this world. Desert Lady is right across the street!!!!
    If anyone is in Orlando check it out!!!
    My sister suggested we take a group to New Orleans and eat our way thru a weekend in September!!!! NOW THAT'S HOT!!!
    Thanks Ris for being U!
    Trea

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like Philly was awesome Ris! I could almost taste the food as you were describing it! I really want to try and make the Eggplant and Tomato Casserole...I'll let you know how it turns out! Wish me luck..you know I can't cook...lol!
    Love you lots and keep doing you girl!
    Dev

    ReplyDelete