Tuesday, June 9, 2009

What's Grilling?

Homeward Bound!

Fellow foodies-
I am brimming with excitement! It is my favorite time of year……Grilling Season! It is the only part of the summer that I truly adore! I’m not a huge fan of the heat; give me a snowy night and a fireplace any day! However being from the islands I have grown particularly fond of outdoor and, specifically, beach grilling. As you know I’ve been living in NY this past year, but the time is swiftly approaching where I will be blogging to you from the beautiful shores of The Bahamas! I can already smell the fresh sea air and taste the salty goodness that oozes from the jewels of the sea. I long for the beach days and ice cold coolers, the frothy mixed drinks and the familiar faces of friends. This blog serves as an introduction to my newest installment ‘What’s Grilling?’ in which I will explore the world of grilling, experimenting with both flavor as well as texture, and hopefully be bringing it to you in both video and pictorial form.

And I’m not talking just burgers and hot dogs either; that’s child’s play! The sky is the limit when it comes to grilling. I’m talking everything from steaks and chops to pizzas and Po boys to fish, conch and lobster! Oh yes food fans, this is the season where I pull out all the stops with marinades and glazes o’plenty! This is the season where delectable fresh summer fruits and their natural nectars can be combined with citric acids to create some of the most flavorful marinades, glazes and dipping sauces (not to mention cocktails)recognizable to human taste buds! The season when fresh seafood comes alive in your mouth; Skate, Lobster, Eel, Mackerel, Salmon, Crawfish and Prawns are at their most abundant and flavorful. I can’t wait to get home!

Some of my favorite fruits are in season now as well. These fruits lend themselves nicely as grilling components; nothing is better than fresh grilled fruit to go with a spicy grilled jerk Pork. How about grilled salted Pineapple or Mango mint salsa for example! Star apples, Sapodilla “Dilly”, Guava, Native Orange; so many fruits, so little time! Salsas, salads, marinades and sides- I can’t wait to dish them all!

Join me on this journey; stay tuned for all of my explorations into tropical food and island living. From deep sea fishing to food festivals, this summer is going to be phenomenal!! As I mentioned before I will be posting both video as well as pics from my ventures at home so check back often ;) and STAY TUNED!!

No comments:

Post a Comment