Monday, May 25, 2009

Dining Out

DEGUSTATION

So, when traveling in London, my sister M and I fell in love with Tapas. I kept hearing about this quaint restaurant here in NYC that if you loved Tapas and fine dining, was apparently the place to go to experience the best of both worlds. So on Saturday, being that M is in town, she and I went to Degustation for a LATE dinner to see what all the hype was about. Well let me start by telling you that Degustation fully lived up to its hype; it was ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!

Upon arriving, our seats were not available; however, the ever so charming Jack Lamb reassured us that it would be only a short wait. Upon being seated, Mr. Lamb personally brought us both complimentary glasses of Cava, assuring us that they were “for the two most beautiful flowers in the room” (….I Gush!!) I knew that it was going to be a great night!


The restaurant space itself was tiny; I believe 16 seats! The dining was sushi bar style seating and the kitchen is literally right in front of you! A staff of 6 ran the show; 1 head chef, 1 sous chef, 1 garde manger, 1 hostess, and 2 runners commanded the space seamlessly. As we ate the harmonious sounds of Buju Banton, Bob Marley and Damien Marley rang pleasantly throughout! I sat back in awe of the simplicity of the space, the casualness of the atmosphere and yet the sophistication that remained in the air!

Instead of opting for a tasting menu of 5 options- 4 savory and 1 sweet, (there was also one of 10, which included some off menu options; tempting, very tempting! But we had a very late reservations and weren’t that hungry!) We decided to order 9 different items and share them; though 1 item was so delicious we had it twice!! So let me start by listing the items that we ordered: Pork Croquetas in sweet red chili sauce (x2), Spanish tortilla w/ quail egg, Crudo of Black bass, Grilled Octopus w/ pork belly, citrus and basil, Carabinero, Chopitos in squid ink risotto w/ garlic aioli and fresh herbs, Wild boar w/ micro greens and citrus vinaigrette, Lamb tenderloin and Oxtail -potato cannelloni!


So while I‘ll say that everything was absolutely amazing, there were certain items that were above and beyond superbly fabulous! The stars of the show were easily the Pork Croquetas which were hot and oozing with sultry pork flavor! The deep fried (panko) encrusted balls of pork and creamy cheese melted in your mouth…literally! Dipped into the creamy sweet red pepper sauce each bite was sinfully phenomenal.


So often the pairing of seafood and meat is so overbearing that portion overrules flavor.The Grilled Octopus w/ pork belly brought a new take on ‘Surf and Turf’ with a light freshness that was much desired. The fine herb oil brought out the flavor of the octopus while the braised pork belly stood valiantly on its own; its succulence and mouth-melting texture was a brilliant contrast to the firm texture of the octopus.


The Chopitos (baby Cuttle fish) in squid ink risotto with garlic aioli and fresh herbs was mind numbing. I HATE to sound cliché but this dish was seriously the most delicious thing that I have ever tasted. It was like fried calamari in texture but had a much fresher bite. The risotto was creamy and perfectly aldente, (maybe even a little less bite) and perfectly flavored. Squid ink has been a long time favorite of mine and while for some the flavor is overbearing and strange, for me it is natures Alfredo!


Last is THE LAMB! I say it that way because of all the other things that it was plated with,the lamb stood out alone! It left me speechless. I’ve long been a lover of lamb, but the flavors that came through in this rear offering were sumptuous! I can’t even think of all the different ways I have had lamb: grilled, stewed, curried, braised, fried, baked, and never has it been this… exotic in nature. By exotic I mean unique! The texture was sublime- the way that my teeth made its way through each bite so effortlessly and fluidly was astonishing! Lamb on its best day can prove a little tough to chew, but these cuts seemed bred to please!


**
On a side note I must give honorable mention to the Wild Boar! It too was fabulous and one of M's top picks, but due to time and space was not covered in depth!


All in all Degustation met my criteria almost perfectly:

Food: 40%

Service: 25% (they had beer and wine only)

Ambiance: 20%

Price: 10%

Total: 95%


As far as recommendations: I would do so without thought! From attentive owner to well-versed hostess to seasoned executive chef, Degustation was most certainly my moneys worth!!

No comments:

Post a Comment